Wednesday, June 11, 2008

If you have read my investment philosophy, I describe myself as a farmer who diligently plough my fields and look after my fruit orchards, while waiting patiently for my harvest.

Currently, the climate has turned for the worse; some of my fruit trees and crops appear weak. Some of my neighbours have started selling off their fields and going after the latest commodities rush. Others have started mining for gold, coal or switched planting palm trees, by burning off their planted crops prematurely to free up existing land.

A few cash rich businessmen have been looking for me the past few days. They are offering a ridiculously low price for the trees in my fruit orchard.

“Look! The climate has turned for the worse and it is highly likely you will lose everything if you hang on to your stupid trees! You better cut loss and keep the money for the rainy days!” One of the businessmen suggested shrewdly.

“My trees are fundamentally strong and have been through the worst climate. Yet they often offer me juicy fruits upon harvest. Some of them are actually more than 40 years old! Yet they are still growing strong and giving me good returns. ” I replied nonchalantly, not even bothering to bargain for a higher price for my trees.

“The whole world is selling off their fields and plantation! Look at your neighbours! They are now making so much more by investing in commodities! Are you saying the whole world is wrong except you?” Another businessman argued.

“Herd mentality.” I muttered. Just like the sheep I rear, they like to go near the wolves den together, without knowledge of danger. That’s the real risk, I thought quietly.

“You are going to regret this! Don’t ever come crying to me if your crops and trees can’t survive the climate! The businessmen stormed off.

Quietly I went back to my chest and look at my savings.

I think it is a good time to take over a portion of my neighbours’ plantations.

It’s the Great Cavemen Sale again!

No comments: